Saturday, April 22, 2006

No comments needed



As part of the orientation, we were all taken to see a baseball and soccer game in Gwangju. Of course we all crapped our pants when we found our picture on the front page of the local paper...Especially considering that Gwangju has a population of 1.5 million people.
Even though the attendance was pretty poor at the "Kia Tigers" game, the cheering squad tere made up for it by getting all the foreigners up in front of the crowd to carry out feats of strength (embarassment). Unfortunately for me, the head cheerer publicly declared me "TOO TALL" (Who knew?) to compete in the team jump rope competition and we had to go find a replacement in the crowd to jump with Steph!!! Worst part was that I dragged Steph up on stage only to be disqualified myself, and setting her up to jump with one of our buddies. Sweet show!

Cool things so far:

  • Children go to highschool from 7:30 am to 10:30 pm, and some will even stay at study school until 2am... Serious!

  • We've woken up to 3 bigtime car accidents in front of our apartment.

  • I've seen 2 kids in Gwangju that were almost as tall as me... It does happen.

  • Motorcylces and scooters here have no rules at all. They drive on the sidewalks, run red lights, they never wear helmets and they have insurance, but they don't really.
  • 2 Comments:

    Blogger Jeff C. said...

    It took me a couple of close up looks to see what the deal was. You're famous! I see you are hard at work teaching the S. Korean kids how to yell "Hey batta batta batta! Sah-wing batta batta batta!"

    6:04 a.m.  
    Blogger Ms Parker said...

    Hi Brent,

    I showed that picture in my Introduction class. The kids were totally applauding.

    Nicola and I saw a whole crowd of tall Koreans at a military parade in Wando -- photographic proof on my blog.

    See you in Suncheon. Ask Steph if she wants a 3000\ facial....

    4:35 p.m.  

    Post a Comment

    << Home