Wednesday, July 26, 2006

The Misunderstood virtues of Skate

Our hometown has two delicacies that it is famous for: Sabol Nokchi – live Octopus and Skate. I still haven’t eaten the live octopus, but probably will at some point. However, I have had the Skate (a type of manta ray) and still have to wonder why anyone would ever eat it by choice. Skate is an unbelievably cartilagey fish, pink to red in colour.
Eat me! I'm horrible!
Manta rays in general are filled with Urea when alive, but once dead, that Urea converts to Ammonia.


Now, of course Rays or Skate is eaten all over the world, so that isn't so uncommon. It is cooked and blackened and is supposed to be quite palatable. In Korea, they eat it raw... so full on cartilage texture, full on Ammonia taste. And as the foreigner, it's your job to eat as much of it as possible.

Shivers run up my spine every time it shows up unexpectedly on the dinner table!
Look at all that delicious skate! Eat um up!

9 Comments:

Blogger Ms Parker said...

Ask Max and Stuart about their craptastic skate restaurant experience. A whole meal of nothing but skate!

Blech.

8:16 a.m.  
Blogger Goulash said...

Yup been there almost threw-up that!
Max and I struggled our way through a whole meal of nothing but skat and guts of skate (with a little pork to help it go down).
I would have to vote this the single most disgusting meal I have ever eaten... and I have had some weird stuff!
The Koreans can really be mind-boggling at times.

11:34 a.m.  
Blogger Jen @ Light Enough to Travel said...

Nothing like fish that tastes like cat pee smells!

6:42 p.m.  
Blogger Brent said...

Awesome!

On our trip to Jeju, I was again blessed with the opportunity to have the "Hanga (Skate) sandwich". The skate sandwich is made up of a slice of Skate, kimchi and a pork slice (sliced from skin through the fat to the pork).

They did have the "parts" and Skate slices too. Scrumptious!

1:36 p.m.  
Blogger Jen @ Light Enough to Travel said...

Gee, I can't think of anything I'd rather not eat!

11:50 a.m.  
Blogger Ms Parker said...

Hello?

Where is the Jeju update?

And where are the interactive maps of Singapore and Malaysia, showing the upcoming trip?

You are slacking, my friend, slacking. And remember, second place is first loser....

I am, however, very impressed with your "Favourite Posts" drop down menu... It will take me another 3 months to figure out how to do that!

Still haven't customized my header.... must get on that.

1:57 a.m.  
Blogger Jeff C. said...

I agree with Ms Parker. How about an update on your back? Did the quackery work? Do you still have welts?

How about posting the story about the stripper boob sucking teacher? That was a funny email!

8:39 a.m.  
Blogger Goulash said...

You're definitely slipping Mr!

If there is a stripper boob sucking teacher that hasn't been written about, you obviously just don't care about your devoted audience.

And how about your holidays? How can we live an exciting life vicariously through you if you don't write about it? We may just have to go out and get a life for ourselves!

Shame on you!!!!

9:58 a.m.  
Blogger Brent said...

Jeffer!

There was such an incident, but in the interest of the blog, I chose to leave out mention of said boob incident!

Back is doing excellently except for the newly aquired sunburn! But that's needed for my base! Vacation!!!

7:50 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home