Friday, May 12, 2006

When did I become the ringer???

The first week here, the men at the school "recruited" me onto their volleyball team. Now, for a tall guy, I'm not very good. I can set and bump, but my hitting is garbage! That said, it is really nice to get out of school at 3 everyday to go play volleyball...
On Monday we played against some of the kids' dads... and a guy on the other team, who was clearly varsity calibre was hitting right around me each time I went up for a block. The next day the men at school scheduled (at noon...I always hear about everything last second) a practice for 3 that afternoon: a hitting practice... for ME! Haha! Gotta love these people... they spent 2 hours setting to me, over and over and over again. I think they're hoping I can learn to play before the city elementary school teachers tournament on May 11th!

So this practice goes on (I walk home at lunch to get my sports clothes for the 3rd time! - 20 minute walk to school is fantastic), I hit a ton, we rally and then head back to the teachers office. Out comes the Soju (a sweet potatoe vodka - 22%) and the eats! The food from the school's cafeteria is better than some restaurants in Canada... but the portions are huge!!! I've actually gained weight since I got here. I don't know how these people are so thin.

So back to the Soju... After 6 shots of soju (which the school buys in cases) and a lot of food, we all disperse and I head upstairs to change....
When I come back down, the school is empty and locked up like fort knox!

I proceed to the door I always come in and out of, unlock it to get out... and the alarm goes off! I try to lock the door and walk to the gate where I normally enter the school grounds, but it's padlocked and the walls are too high to climb.

I look back through the school and see that the main gate is still open so I break back into the school and unlock the front doors (trying to lock doors as I go through them).

As I cross the field towards the main gate - in my semi-buzzed state, A police cruiser pulls through the gate towards me! (turns out to be oncall security). They clearly (in korean) ask if I tripped the alarm. Through hand motions and my crude korean, we clear up that it was me that came out of the school and tripped the alarm... they still go over to the school and check things out. I'm sure the fact that I was dressed up (they like it here for the male teachers to be in business casual at least) sold them on the fact that I was a teacher, and not just a tall foreign theif!

All I can say is that I'm happy they bought it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also they let you off cause you're so tall and BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!

4:54 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home