Monday, March 05, 2007

DASHAN!!!

While we were in China, I was amazed at how many people wanted to take "sneaky" pictures of me. It's one thing to take the photo of someone tall, but totally another when people sneak up beside me, or stand 20 feet in front of me while someone else tries to frame a picture of them with ME in it. I mean, this happens in Korea, but not with as much effort as the Chinese were trying.

No, I'm not paranoid, because they definitely weren't subtle! Funny, but not subtle. 4 days into our trip in Shanghai, a girl (who happened to be the one who tried to take us to her "Special Tea cafe") told me I looked a lot like DASHAN. WHO?

I'm a tall white guy that looks like Brent!Dashan is known in Canada as Mark Rowswell, where he is almost a complete unknown. What's his claim to fame? He came over to China in the mid 80's and learned how to speak Mandarin Chinese unbelievably well... as well or better than many Chinese. While this isn't so odd, a chance to perform comedy on a television show made him a national celebrity overnight. Apparently 550 million people were watching him the night he appeared TV. And he can still live the life of an unknown back home. Appropriately, he has been hired to be the Canadian Team Attaché for the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, even though no Canadian has a clue who he is. Pretty sweet work there, Mark!

So if you hear a story with the title "Dashan sticks tongue out at picture takers!" or "Dashan mysteriously grows 1 foot taller overnight!", don't blame him!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Ms Parker said...

Awesome story!

I get mistaken for Jessica Simpson all the time....errr, NOT!

xoxo

Virginia

11:20 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha!! This story is SO true. I have new sympathy for the rich and famous.

Damn you paparazzi!!

2:58 p.m.  
Blogger Jen @ Light Enough to Travel said...

Creepy!

~Jen

5:01 p.m.  
Blogger Goulash said...

hmmm....

Brent / Dashan .....
Clark Kent / Superman?!?

Admit it, Dashan is really your alter-ego isn't he? Why didn't you tell us you were famous in China?

Alllooksame?
http://www.alllooksame.com/index.php

10:03 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home