Monday, June 26, 2006

I've got Seoul, but I'm not a soldier (Seoul part 1)

Our weekend trip to Seoul actually started before school ended. Steph and I bolted out of school early to catch the 4:40 highspeed train from Mokpo to Seoul - of course I was a tad late, and made things are little close (exciting). The entire trip took just over 3.5 hours and the train reached speeds nearing 300 km/hr, costing $36 each way.

Our stop! Gangnam-gu Office!All roads leading into Rome were jammed as we entered the city at 8:30. Steph, Steph’s co-teacher; MiSung, who came with us, and I, hooked up with MiSung’s husband, Sung O, before we found ourselves the best hotel money could buy. Scary!Unfortunately, I only had $45 on me, so we checked into the “All in Motel” - $85 for 2 nights accomodation. Delightful! Check it out at 37°31'1.42"N 127° 2'33.66"E.

Korean “love motels” are quaint family run motels that people can reserve a room for hours at a time without fear of persecution. Well they aren’t family run, but they are reasonably clean (we hope) and are perfect for travellers who are looking for a solid rate.

After dropping off our luggage, we headed out for some kimchi soup (delicious) and then walked through the upscale Gangnam-gu district.
We're two little Devils!The hundreds of Koreans in “Red devil” gear walking the streets, were already getting ready for the do-or-die soccer game later the next morning. We decided to head to bed so that we could wake up at 4 am to watch the game.

7 Comments:

Blogger Ms Parker said...

Ooooh - Good start.

Can't wait for Part II... and I expect a full description of every second of shopping that was done: what was looked at, tried on, purchased, thought about, how much etc.

And I'll tell you about what I bought yesterday (besides a trip to China)!

8:02 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Virginia... shopping was awesome! No shoes :( but clothes galore. Made a stop in Itaewon, but left after a stroll around and a look-see as the prices there were a bit inflated.. Dongdaemun market is the place to be (at least, if you are a girl.. ). Poor Brent.. he's a good man for putting up with getting dragged into every store (cheers baby!).
We had a great time... we're thinking of going back to stay for a few days before we ship out to singapore/malaysia.
WHAT YOU BUY!!!?? Stop teasing!! ;)

9:03 a.m.  
Blogger Brent said...

A funny thing happened, at the second department store that Steph dragged us to. We (Steph, her co-teacher, Mi Sung, MiSung's husband Sung O and I) split up so that Steph could be left to shop.
I went and bought some stuff and then went upstairs to the restaurant on the top floor to wait until our meeting time. Who was already there, you may ask? MiSung and Sung O! They had been there the whole time!! Haha!

1:25 p.m.  
Blogger Ms Parker said...

It's because Korea is such a shopping paradise that Koreans do not need to be as excited to shop. See, it's like if you can watch something dumb like hockey everyday, then suddenly, you can't, and it becomes so important to you.

Right. In E-mart, there is a clothing store called "In the Living", which makes no sense, but the clothes are pretty. Bought a green skirt and a dusty pink jacket with a fitted waist and kinda poufy shoulders. Very Korean. Or maybe a bit Shakespearean. Anyway... I love coming home with cereal, yogurt, bread and a skirt.

I think, Stephanie, that you and I need to do some retail therapy when you come to Suncheon next. We can leave the boys to talk about sports and burping.

2:10 p.m.  
Blogger Brent said...

I love it!

2:20 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Count me in on the shopping... As you two know, I have been here way too long...so I can show you all the cute little stores that I've adopted as my own for the past two years... The store owners know me pretty well...haha (at least I get "service-uh").

Hope you two can make it down to Suncheon... I wanna see ya's before I'm gone :(

Later,
April

1:08 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha.. shopping buddies! Yeah! I think Brent's just about to put his foot down on the whole 'going shopping' thing..
You guys are right.. boy's just don't get it. They're weird.
April...we'll definitly see you before you head out!!

10:07 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home