Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Projects

One thing that interests me is large scale urban development. Yeah, I hear the yawns... but I'm talking huge, monstrous projects with unfathomable budgets.

One of them is the four man made island "communities" off the coast of Dubai, UAE.
Take a look using Google Earth @ 25° 9'57.82"N 55°11'53.47"E. Pretty crazy!

Now, supposedly, the rings around these sets of islands are for security. People must be cleared to enter… talk about privacy! Some of the islands host resorts, others can be purchased or rented. I think the whole project cost somewhere in the area of 6 bajillion dollars! I could be wrong though.

Another similar project is being started in Saudi Arabia. It's called “King Abdullah city”.I think you can see the start of it @ 21°56'36.99"N 38°57'20.17"E. Either that or someone is building a golf course in the middle of nowhere.

The final project that we’ve all heard about, but probably haven’t been following lately is the Lower Manhatten Redevelopment project - The world trade center plot.

The final 5 concepts were pretty amazing, but they’ve made the final selection and constuction is underway. The original design looks great, but let's see if they cheap out during construction. Here is a webcam view of the site as well as the planned memorial site.

We'll see if it ever gets built, or if it stalls like the Toronto Waterfront redevelopment has, causing everyone to lose interest. So far though, Toronto's plans look pretty nice (Warning - this link is to a .PDF that is 77 Meg in size, so it will take a year or so to download).

10 Comments:

Blogger Jen @ Light Enough to Travel said...

I think the rings around each "island" probably serve as a bit of a wave buffer, as well.

I love your geographic geekyness; it must take one to know one! I just don't post about my own indulgences that often.

I taught my middle school extra-class students today about the Earth's location relative to the sun on summer solstice, the (purely locational) differences between typhoons and hurricanes, and desertification of the Gobi desert in China. And, I made it sound exciting.

Good times, indeed.

6:04 p.m.  
Blogger Brent said...

That's a great idea!
I've come to the conclusion that you have to teach lessons that cater to you as well as the students! Gotta keep yourself interested!!! I would have loved to learn about the Gobi.

Sweet...

I think we are both nerds.
:)

9:45 p.m.  
Blogger Jeff C. said...

ha ha, nerds!

Signed,
Jeff Crowder, 103rd world ranked doubles crokinole player

4:54 a.m.  
Blogger Brent said...

I still believe you are 115th!!
Jeffer!

7:30 a.m.  
Blogger Ms Parker said...

While you all are showing the relative position of the Gobi desert, I, um, play, um, GAMES with my students. No, seriously - I showed them Google Earth and they were all completely transfixed and SILENT - which is pretty amazing in a Korean class!

Hey - is that my apartment? Damn, you can see right in my window!

8:44 a.m.  
Blogger Ms Parker said...

Actually - the links don't link to anything!

You have made me sad.

:(

8:46 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Virginia... nice gachies!

Hee hee.

8:57 a.m.  
Blogger Ms Parker said...

Hey! Those are my gachies!

Okay, okay... I just downloaded GoogleEarth4. Hope you are happy... now I will never leave the house again.

Can't wait for your post re: Seoul.

5:37 p.m.  
Blogger Jeff C. said...

I need a new post. What is going on? I think you should have Steph be guest blogger once in a while.

4:46 a.m.  
Blogger Brent said...

Preaching to the choir here, Jeff.

7:01 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home