Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Hyuil! (Holiday!)

Tuesday was another surprise holiday in Korea for us. Where do they all come from? So sweet.

Memorial Day is celebrated on June 6th and is intended to pay respect to the millions of Koreans who have died fighting to preserve Korean sovereignty; specifically during the Korean war and the Japanese occupation of WWII. Learning about Korean history, its no wonder their relationship with Japan is still strained.

We were rudely awakened at the crack of noon by our local gang of kids. This pack of 3 kids come visit us every 3-4 days to ask us to come and play with them. The nerve!!! We decided to take our entourage up to the hill across from our apartment. Apartments and farmland in the middle of the cityA view of our apartment (front center) from the hillThe top of the hill had a full outdoor exercise set
We spent the afternoon reading and waiting for our little friends to melt and run back home. (Actually they are great kids, unlike the little crapface that tried to run Steph down with his push scooter - When he ran into her it was the closest I've come to killing a Korean kid)

After walking around a deserted city (where are all the people?), we were picked up by Mr. Choi for a picnic with his family. Mr. Choi lived in San Diego for 15 years where he started his own business. Since then, he has come back with his family, and his youngest daughter is now one of Steph's students. We hit the "Excercise park" near our apartment where Mr. Choi cooked up feast of kalbi (beef ribs) fit for an army. I luckily was that army and had the pleasure of eating enough for 4 people... My poor belly...the victim of Korean hospitality!

Funny shirt of the day: Mr Choi's 14 year old daughter was wearing a shirt that read "I wish my boyfriend was as dirty as my dirtbike". She didn't know what it meant, but she liked the shirt. Priceless.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, my knight in shining armour! Not sure what the scooter thing was about. The first time, I figured it was an accident (the sidewalks are only so big) but the backing up and aligning of the scooter for the second hit made the intent pretty unmistakable. Wierd - he wasn't even one of my students ;)
I've never been so satisfied to use Korean. 'Hajima!' (Dont do that!) -- best used while shaking fist.

2:55 p.m.  
Blogger Carol Maas said...

Brent Poole!!!!

I had no idea that you were going to Korea, how fantastic. Looks like you two are having a blast. Glad SOMEONE (Stacey) keeps me informed of your antics.

The blog is great, I wish both of you all the best. I'm sure you'll get opportunities to travel outside of Korea at some point, we met lots of Korean teachers in Thailand and Vietnam.

I highly recommend Laos if you haven't been there. In particular an organic mulberry farm where you can help teach english to kids that have been displace from the war, float down the river with mountains in the backdrop and just hang out.

So how are you as a teacher anyways? I'm sure the kids go mad over you.

Keep the blog going, I'll keep reading.

Later skater,
Carol

11:49 p.m.  
Blogger Brent said...

CP!
I know, I've been a bad emailer... But I don't think I have your email anymore!!!
The kids are starting to go less "bonkers" now when they see me walk down the hall, but the Gauntlet is still a daily event. I'll try to take a movie of it. Travelling South East Asia will be a major part of our adventure... stay tuned! Miss you!

8:01 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home